Coloring hair after chemo HELP!

Okay now that the chemo is over for a while anyway I have hair that is thickish although grey, very grey. I hate it. I used to color my hair blonde before the chemo (hence the name Blondie4life ha ha). Now I want to know, why is it that everyone says you should only use a color rinse when I want to cover the grey and have my blonde hair back! I feel like the grey hair makes me feel old! I hate it! It might seem superficial but I find myself feeling less interested in going out in public since my hair is grey. Has anyone ever colored their grey hair blonde after chemo?

33 replies. Join the discussion

I don't have an answer. Obviously I bleach mine blonde also. What's it going to do, give me cancer? I know I should worry more about it, since I have mets on my skull, but my natural color is "old faded asphalt" with grey highlights, and it makes me feel BLAH!

Hi
Go to the salon and have it done, you most likely need a honey blonde shade, don't go with ash or it will look gray.

Chava

Hello again
Have you heard from Inky lately ?

I have NOT heard from Inky and I've been emailing her like crazy! I have her phone number and am going to call her tomorrow.

Go for the coloring. Like Shelli said, what's it going to do, give you cancer? I'd color my hair (salt and pepper now) if I wasn't just going to lose it again in a couple of weeks.

BTW, inky (Sheri, you mean, right?) wrote me a short note on 12/10/2010. She's like all of us, depressed and fighting. I don't know if you were talking about more recent contact, though.... I'd bet she'd welcome a call.

Elena

Mine came in 'salt and pepper' and I kept it that way for a year...I then visited my Mom and everyone in her neighborhood (an active living community) had MY hair and my color.

Argghhh.....

I bought a box of hair dye on the way home and have never looked back. If you need to color it for your quality of life (and yes, those things can make a difference) do it!

I never heard a satisfactory answer as to why coloring your hair was not a good idea. I don't color mine, but know many who do even while in chemo and say it's no problem. I have grey hair, which I love and this last time (It's coming back again, yippee) it is almost pure white, with my pale skin coloring looks great, except for the fact that I have black circles under my eyes from this current therapy..

I looked up some google results re dying hair and chemo...they say, the chemicals will stress your hair, (I think hair that has been so stressed it's given up and fallen out knows about stress!) That the dye smells may make you feel a little sick (we can handle that-I could take one of the 3 types of antiemitic I have readily at hand) they say it will make the hair a little more brittle (mine came back so fine it needs some body!) They say wait till 6 months after chemo----that will never happen with me and stage IV....so I say go ahead....with caution.....

I have relatives who are hairdressers, but they always lived too far away so my stories regarding having it done in a salon....I'm not knocking hairdressers..... but really I have such salon horror stories from the first professional perm at age 14 - what a nightmare - to getting a trim, when I had hair almost to my waist (Hello...it was a trend in the 70's) that trim to shoulder length,ummm......wasn't exactly what I wanted to getting it highlighted for my graduation (in middle age), and having large round circles from where the goop had pooled...glad I could wear that gown and cap!!! So choose wisely. I think I might not have communicated the right info to the ladies, and one man...plus because I'm so embarrassed by what I'm walking out with that I always tip big! Don't know what that is all about, but any psychologist on the site could probably tell me:) It may be too late to hear the answer though.

I say GO AHEAD! My short hair is now brown with some gray and I am going to have some hi-lights put in tomorrow! I cannot wait! Some color always perks us up!

We have a salon about an hour away that uses organic items for everything they do from shampoo to hair coloring and facials. I asked my girl and she was able to get organic professional products to use on me. They have lasted as long as the other and I am not sure of all ingredients but is a far step ahead of the over the counter or other professional products. Also health food stores sell products but I don't know anything about those.

Once I went back to being Blonde, I felt like a MIllion Bucks!

I felt the same as you following chemo. My Oncologist asked me to hold off for a while. I was also trying out the new hair color, solid white, and just wasnt ever happy with it. By the time my hair was a few inches long, I bought a box of L'oreal and have never looked back! I do treat myself at a salon now, and love the pampering that comes with it. I love playing Beauty Shop......so treat yourself, you deserve it.

I have asked my onc. and nurses, and nobody answered a flat out "no" to color. My straight,auburnish/grey hair came in curly and grey. Loved the curls, the grey made me look more washed out than I already am. Dyed it med brown, with highlights. Loved it (until it fell out again) now its coming in frizzy white with a brown circle near the crown. Whats that all about? The Lady Gaga look!
Go for it!

After my grew back in 2004 after losing it to all to chemo in 2003, I colored mine at mine and it did not harm it at all.

My hair has thinned from the chemo I've been on since April 2009, but I still color it, even though I keep it covered and you can't see much of it. It makes me feel better about myself which is why I do it. Right now I am using Clairol Natural Instincts, and it does not cause any additional thinning to what the chemo is doing.

I was told it had nothing to do with "giving you cancer," but that since hair that grows back is essentially baby hair, it has been known to fall out if processed too much. That was the big issue, according to my onc. I figure by the time it's come fully in, it's technically toddler hair, so go for it!

I've never even heard of holding off on coloring your hair after chemo? I colored mine last time as soon as it started growing back and am getting ready to do the same. It's coming in BLACK and I'm a blonde. lol I have to color it because the wig that I"m still wearing is blonde and you can see my sideburns. lol I say "GO for it".

Suzy

Well i color my hair 2 month`s after chemo,use a light color and it came out dark but it look beautiful,did not fell out,my hair was white after chemo not grey and straight.I use Nutrisse hair color.The peroxcide would make your scalp itch.( for scalp ) Half Avocado 2x egg yolks and 1desert spoon Olive oil ) mixed leave on hair for 30 min.and if very dry leave on overnight.And lady`s this is good it is like a mask.

Go for it. I colored mine as soon as I could but go to a good salon. Coloring will actually make your hair look a bit thicker because it damages the hair follicle. I know it doesn't make sense but I'm living proof
Susie

I died mine too no way was I going round looking old after finally get some hair back! I was devastated loosing my haie I havnt had my normal hair since 08 im,quite mad about it!

We has being through a lot,yes we dont want to look old with a new hair collor you look younger and feel better about yourself!Sometimes we must not go for you must not do this because this wil happend.If you dont try you will never know!One thing i have learn from my leg cramps every one said if your protein positive take milk,cheese and all the other stuff out of your diet,i has done this and end up with a lot of leg cramps.So i am back on my normal diet and no leg cramps i eat healthy and live healthy.

Ive been coloring mine since i got Dx my hair didnt totally fall out so you bet i was hiding those greys. I was a lite golden brown with some highlights(whne i started treatment) and i started coloring it alot darker amost black.It makes it look alot fuller. And you know what everyone loves it darker, Im starting to like it now.

I use to be known as the lady with 'The Hair'. I had it colored auburn and it was long and wild. I just loved it.
Then it all fell out and grew back all grey but I don't want to color it because I have mets to the skull. Last New Year's Eve I wore I wig because I was bald. On this New Year's Eve we went dancing & I wanted to wear a wig to cover all the grey hair. My husband said not to wear a wig (even if it makes me look 20 years younger) because I would feel uncomfortable.
While we were dancing I kept telling him I'm the only woman in the whole place with all white hair. He kept saying don't worry about it.
While hubby was getting our coats at coat check this young (probably drunk) young man came over to me and told me I looked absolutely gorgeous with my grey hair and gave me a kiss right on my head. He told me I looked like one hot chick and he made my night. Hubby said he's glad he didn't witness it.
People now open doors for me and I want to tell them I'm not OLD, just grey. And if someone tries to give me their seat on a bus or subway I'll hit them on the head with my pocketbook. No one gave me a seat when I was pregnant so why now cause I'm grey. As long as I feel good I'll stand.
It's a big step to go natural when most women are coloring, Hey, at least I have hair again.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders