Cold weather and bone met pain???

Wanted to get some replies on this and see if I'm crazy or my Onc. is crazy. lol Since winter has sat in here in Illinois my bone met pain has increased severely. We have increased my pain meds to keep it under control. I have read MANY articles online about cold weather and bone met pain, kinda like arthritis and rainy weather. I assumed it was perfectly normal, until my last visit with my Onc. he claims in 33 years of practicing he's NEVER once heard of this and is ordering a new PET scan just to be sure of what's going on. Has anyone experienced this with bone mets and colder weather causing you MORE intense pain?

Thanks
Suzy

9 replies. Join the discussion

I don't know why your onc won't believe it. Mine does and my body certainly does. When it gets colder - especially at night- my hip (where I get bone pain) hurts more than it does in the summer. Even though the mets are improving there they hurt more.

Terri

I have extensive bone mets and the pain in my bones varies wildly with the weather, despite decreased cancer activity and stable bone mets for over a year. You are absolutely right that the cold weather aggravates our bone mets and so does dampness; barometer bones is the phrase i've heard some girls use. I wonder how our sisters in Arizona fair with bone mets. If my kids weren't still in school, I'd up and move to a better climate!

I don't think it's possible to tell which one of you is crazy by this one exchange. I imagine you could both be crazy, but for many other reasons. Don't listen to me tonight, I'm so antsy about going in very early and getting a blood test and then waiting 2 hours in a drafty waiting room to see if I'm healthy enough to get the gemzar, carbo BSI and then sitting in that recliner (God I now hate recliners) for the rest of the day if I'm lucky enough to get the drugs
In answer to your very real question. The bones hurt when it's sunny, they hurt when it's cold. I do have some osteoartritis and that definitely increases in the cold weather. But not where the bone mets are supposed to be.
Regards to you Suzy.

My bone mets varies with the weather. My first onc says it has something to do with the Barometric Pressure. All I know is I can predict the weather now better than the Weather Man!

Yep, you are right on. I live in Florida, and when the weather is warm, balmy, and humid my pain is O.K., ....but we have had some really cold weather lately.... 20 at night, low 50s days, and boy howdy has my bone pain kicked in, and yes I lie there at night massaging my legs, taking more pain meds than ever and waiting for warmer weather. Julieanne

Im in the burbs of Chicago, and yes my bones hurt more now then ever. If Im out in the cold too long, my bones get cold, and then becomes really hard to warm them back up. Its a horrible feeling, so I no longer play around in the snow, like I used to. I havnt spoke to my Oncologist about it, but will mention it to him when I go back in at the end of the month.

Im amazed that your Oncol. hasnt ever heard of this? I would think he has heard of Everything by now? I would suggest he just "Add it to his List" then. Just because he hasnt heard of it, doesnt mean it isnt so.

My old Oncol. used to say things like that, and it got old really fast. I felt like no matter what I said, she never gave it any importance or acknowledged it. She always knew better, and I didnt. It just made me afraid to ask her questions, because she would disregard or dismiss whatever I was trying to say. Most importantly was that I kept telling her I had alot of pain in my hip. She continued to dismiss those pains. I eventually left her, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. BTW - I immediately learned after leaving her that I had extensive Bone Mets from my new Oncologist.

Im glad yours is playing it safe in ordering a scan. When was your last scans? I go every 3 months now.

Dont Play in the Snow :) Stay Warm!

YES!!! The bones definitely hurt more in the cold weather. I just told my husband that Gracie (my sweet wiener dog) and I would be going to Fla. next Winter!!!!

Anhui i am so glad to read your comments especially on this cold wet day in Montreal . My bones are screaming for pain med . Should I take Advil or Tylenol

Mine hurt more too, when the weather changes. I feel it when it's cold, and also if there is a storm system or a front moving through.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders