Cluster of tree in bud opacities?

Okay, I trust you all to answer my questions before I see my onc.
I had a PET done because of pain in my right hip that wasn't going away. I was prepared for the fact that it did get a little worse in the last 5 months but wasn't as bad as it could have been.
The only new thing on the report states: "There is a new cluster of tree in bud opacities in the right middle love with minimal uptake above background which is almost certainly infectious/inflammatory. Correlation with symptoms and attention on follow up to ensure resolution is suggested."
I know this sounds like it's nothing but I have already gone through my first year of this battle being misdiagnosed and don't want to go down that road again.
I'm happy that most of my mets are stable but this scares me. Has anyone's mets to lungs started this way?
If I have progressed to my lungs I want to attack it right away. I'm not supposed to see my onc until the 30th for my next Navelbine and Herceptin treatment.
Thanks for any input.
Marianne

8 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry, I meant to type in lobe. Chemo brain even after I proof it!

It says most certainly infectious/inflammatory. That would indicate to me that it's not cancer. I wouldn't worry until you have to.

Mazie,
Have you recently had an upper respiratory infection or bronchitis or allergies causing phlegm??? Often the Bronchi is the 'trunk' of a 'tree'.

"There is a new cluster of tree in bud opacities in the right middle lobe"

Because he states 'buds', that needs to be watched........It should clear up, if it is an URI (upper respiratory infection).........Otherwise, I'd get it biopsied. If it is growing, that location is too close to the main Rt bronchus............When do you talk with your Dr? Have her/him show you the scan, afterall, when you get 'results' the doctor documents that s/he has reviewed all of you scan results. Unless you are satisfied with understanding, review things more closely. It's interesting what is skipped over as 'minor'.

It's not always serious, though. Takes some deep breaths and then go ask some questions.......and get some peace.
Take care.

All I can say is, find out. Why wait? Get a definite diagnosis. What is the advantage in waiting?
I have too many friends who have taken a conservative approach, only to be much worse off for
waiting. I would just ask, what is the advantage in waiting? None. I get so tired of doctors saying
it is nothing, and then, finding out it is something. If you test it now, and it is nothing, you have a
reason to celebrate. If it is something, you can fight it sooner. Just my opinion, but I get so tired
of doctors writing us off. Be in control! Be agressive! It is your life, take charge and do whatever
you can to live. Just my opinion of course!

Yes, ask to have visual of scan explained to you, so you can see what they are seeing... and get an idea of what they call inflamation. Take the copy of DVD to another hospital and ask if the radiologist would be willing to look at it without the report and give you an unbiased second oopinion.... better yet, a biopsy will tell you what exactly you are up against. It is easy to trust the docs, but you have to fight like a girl!!
Hugs
Lisa

Thanks for your input. I keep thinking the same thing. I haven't had any kind if infection. My insurance forces my scans at one hospital they read it then I take it to my onc at Hopkins and so for they''ve read it again. I don't feel good about this. I''ll try and send it to him this week.

Dear Westiefriend17, I could not agree with you more! I am so tired of some of my friends doctors saying, lets wait and see? What are they actually saying, hey if my bonus is bigger or I get that promotion because I save the hospital money then, lets wait and see! It just infuriates me to death. Before I left Kaiser in Ca, I was told I was a hypochrondriac ( know I spelled that wrong) and I was stage 2B, crazy aren't I and now I have mets. That is not my doctors fault, they have been proactive and very aggressive with my cancer from day one. I just feel so frustrated when I hear that word, lets wait and see!

Venting in Ca!!!

It is so good to have others who understand! We are here to support each other and to
vent. I just don't get it. The word conservative is not in my vocabulary when it comes to
fighting cancer! Thanks for backing me up on this. We are our own best advocate, no one
else can do that for us!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders