Clinical trials for MBC with innumarable mets

Has anyone been in, is in or heard of any clinical trials after being diagnosed( Nov. 2012) with innumarable mets to the skull, spine, ribs & pelvic? I had been NED for over 2 & a half years. Anyway, I asked my oncologist on my last visit if there were any trials available for me. She rambled on in her answer. I couldn't make sense of what she was saying except that in the end the answer was no. I think that maybe she was trying to say that there are none because the cancer is too progressed and didn't want to say those words. I am very sensitive to drugs, which makes it more difficult to treat. My tumor markers continue to go up and she is considering doing a new pet/ct scan & whole body scan. I feel that I am running out of options so if anyone knows of any, please let me know. Thanks.

11 replies. Join the discussion

I don't but you are in my prayers for answers. Stay strong!

I know there clinical trials for advanced cancer with many mets,but oncologists not on top of them. You still have number of chemos to try,see if they work for you.second opinion,another option. If you are in university hospital base,they should have oncologist who specializing in matching clinical trial. Do your own research what trials are for you.i wish you the best.

Look up Vero radiation treatments in Texas or Florida. They sound hopeful.

I am on a clinical trial with bone mets and it is in the liver (previously it was in the lungs lymph and bones and then i had a period of NED) I have been having good results and the pain is gone(the results not clear but going down).Mine is for someone with a recognised gene mutation but there are a llot of trials out there.
I throught that if you just have mets in the bones and not the organs that is a good thing-or at least the better alternative.There are loads of trials out there.I am in England so i dont know what you have got in the US but there must be a centralised site with trials on that you could get access to.I am sure someone will come along with the info.
It does not sound like you feel that your doctor is fighting your corner hard enough-maybe you need a second opinion?
good luck

Here is the clinical trial website that you can search https://www.breastcancertrials.org/BCTIncludes/FindATrial/QuestionsForResea rchers.html
I hope this helps

Sounds to me like your onc is not familiar with trials and doesn't want to say that. LisaHof gave you the link....hope you are able to find something that fits your location/diagnosis.

Yes, Lisa has provided you with the perfect link. I look at it all the time. My medical oncologist has a trial going on right now with MBC and a drug. I immediately asked her about it but she explained I don't meet the criteria of the trial right now. She was kind and patient as she explained this to me.

To re-post the link...I think you will find very helpful information here.

https://www.breastcancertrials.org/BCTIncludes/FindATrial/QuestionsForResea rchers.html

Momkis4xs, You are in my thoughts. I think checking the link others have posted is a very good idea. Good luck in your search and I hope you find something right for you. Hugs.

If you don't qualify for CT's, you can research which treatment sounds more fitting and then talk with the representative (drug rep) and try to get a 'compassionate useage'. Don't give up. I will friend you.

U so far have just bone mets as I did and I did radiation which worked great and few side effects Then u take hormone therapy if u are estrogen positive. Also take exgeva for bone healing! I have had no SE.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It makes me feel that I am not alone in this fight. I can only say so much to my husband and my grown children.
I feel remiss in not stating that I have gone thru various kinds of treatments, etc. for MBC. My onc had me on Aromasin & Afinator with Xgeva injections every 4 weeks. After 3 weeks of Afinator, I had to stop because it brought my various blood counts, etc. down dangerously low and I felt horrible with all the side effects. Then I had to go off of Xgeva for three months because I had to have a tooth extracted. It just broke in two one day. Now, I am off the Aromasin too and started on Xeloda & Xgeva injections once every 6 weeks. So, I'm sorry for misguiding anyone. I was trying to make it short but obviously it was too short. I have an app't. with a neuropathic doctor in a few weeks and gotten a second opinion when I was first diagnosed in Nov. She agreed with my onc treatment plan. So off to the battle.... Thanks again.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders