Burning lungs

My lungs are burning and I can't help but wonder if this is a symptom of the cancer spreading into the lungs. It has spread to other places. Anyone else have this problem?
Warm Wishes,
Lisa

5 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, Lisa!

I have mets to my lungs. I struggle with the burning sensation. I describe it as - when you are running and your lungs start to burn. I've learned to live with it along with the chronic dry cough and fatigue.

What is the sensation that you are feeling? Does it go away? Are you doing any tx now?

I am dealing with the burning lungs. I thought it may be pneumonia since I have been in remission with lung mets. However, after a CT scan, it looks like the cancer is on the move again. I suggest you have a chest CT or PET scan to determine what is going on. The earlier you find out the source of the burning the better.

PinkMelba

I agree with PinkMelba. The sooner you have yourself checked out, the better.
Take care and good luck

Burning lung pain does not automatically mean lung cancer, but you need to start the process of finding out what is causing it.
"Burning lungs, dry cough, fatigue," were my symptoms 2 1/2 years ago. I was treated for pneumonia twice which they said had those symptoms too. (it wasn't pneumonia after all) Then another Dr. said, "wait you had breast cancer, we should at least do an x-ray!" which led to a CT scan which led to a biopsy and diagnosis of Stage IV cancer which had now migrated to lung and bones (didn't progress to the liver until later). The bone cancer had probably been there for some time, but since I have a certain amount of osteoarthritis that pain was attributed to it.
So hard to keep track of all of this. One interesting thing was, after the first round of antibiotics it seemed as if the problem went away for a while, so that's why, when it came back they assumed walking pneumonia again. And so did I....of course,(it certainly was the best of what it might be) Another Dr. later told me the antibiotics might have helped the fluids that were forming around the cancer to subside, so seemingly was 'better' but really wasn't.
So sorry about your pain, I sometimes put up with it too long, dreading what might be. Now I'm more realistic, I just do it and deal with it. I pulled my head out of the sand, but my eyes still feel grainy!

Thanks Ladies,
You are the best first responders one could ever ask for. I was diag. metastatic in the spring of 2008. was able to kick it to the curb for some time. My last PET 8 weeks ago showed small tumor loads in the fissure (SP?), T12 and scraum. The burning in my left lung is a new thing just this week, no caugh yet. I have been on Femara for 2 years and 8 weeks ago my Dr. at Darthouth Hitchock added Fasladex 500mg shots. I will be seeing my Dr. on the 20th so I guess we will be discussing it then. But for now at least I know what to expect and I can so some research, prior to my visit. You are all the best, Thank You!
Warm Wishes,
Lisa

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders