Breast Cancer, triple negative, recurrence in lungs

I would like to learn how I can be more proactive about my health, beyond western medicine and into alternative medicine, especially diet. Does anyone know anything about chemotherapy and diet?

22 replies. Join the discussion

Hi - I've responded to your journal entry.....xxxGGC

I drink asparagus juice twice daily (4 TBSP in am and 4 in PM)
I drink Kagan water 90 ozs per day
I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies.
Alcohol: perhaps 1 glass of wine on special occasions.
Meat: very rarely
Milk: rarely
I am triple negative Metastatic ( for 3 years now) with mets to lymph nodes by the lung and trachea.
I am on xeloda ( 6 pills per day) 7 pills per day was too much for me...side-effects were bad.
I also take JUICE PLUS pills

WilmaLee, do you make your own asparagus juice, or can you buy it at health stores? You have a good diet going. 3 years is wonderful. May you have many many more. All the best to you Jesiquita. I have just started my journey with this, and I'm always looking to see about helpful ways for triple negative recurrance. Mine is in lungs also.

buy a can of 50% low sodium asparagus, drain most of it then add water...do not drain all as there are nutrients in the juice, I have high BP so the sodium affects me that is why I drain most of it You do not have to drain it tho.
blend it a long time to get it thoroughly juiced, that pulp it difficult to blend.
Sometimes I add frozen mango pieecs also just to change things up. I have been doing this for almost three years.
I am getting tired of it so I have to change things up one in awhile.
I also eat flaxseed or drink flaxseed oil.

I dislike canned asparagus. Fresh asparagus should be an acceptable substitute, yes?

Thanks so much!

Awesome recipies!

Thank you WilmaLee. This sounds doable to me. I am going to do this, and adding mangos is a great idea. They are very healthy also, and probably add good flavor.

I know this is crazy but i am going to ask... i have stage 1 breast cancer had a lumpectomy on june 20th the tumor was 1.7 centimeter was able to get the tumor and they tested 4 lymph nodes they were all clear but i have her2 positive and dr says i need 6 treatments of chemo radation and herceptin for 1 for 5 weeks and 6 more months of that.. also all margins are clear.. do you know what the % rate is for coming back without chemo.

Don't know the actual percentage. I believe recurrence is more likely in triple negatives than herr 2 positives.

These are tough decisions to make. Go with what your instincts tell you. No one can say for sure what will happen. You have to be satisfied with the decisions you make, so that you know you did your best no matter what happens.

Wilma
Thats impressive. So good to hear you being so proactive. Kudos! Wish I had a tenth of that willpower!
Im getting a blender and I'll make smoothies, prefer my asparagus sauteed with lil garlic and olive oil. .

jesiquita what a lovely photo.

Hugs
Karen

Thanks Karen! :)

I am about to go on Xeloda what was your major side effect and how long did it last until they got it under control? Hopefully it is controllable now.

Some people have hand and foot syndrome which can be painful and maybe mouth sores. I did not experience that to a great degree at all. My big pain in butt was taking the meds in the am and the pm....
I had to take 4 pills am and another four pm after meals.
alas it did not help me so all I did was 3 cycles.

Hope you get a good run!
Hugs,
Grammy

Major side effect for me is hand and foot snyndrome ( red hot swellon feet and red hands that crack and peel)had to havemy dosage lowered. Even had to take a break from the pills to get everything under control.

I had no major side effects, but sometimes I felt queasy after taking them, but not severe at all.

You could try adding in blueberries, especially the low bush type.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21880954

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862148

http://ar.iiarjournals.org/content/27/2/937.long

Hi

I have just completed my third cycle of Xeloda so that is 9 weeks. 6 pils a day is all I can tolerate (tried 7) because of the hand /foot syndrome. Scan results on Friday told me that it is working so thats good. I have Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer all confined to the lymphatic system. So it seems that you can get a good idea of dosage and tolerance pretty quickly.

In regards to diet - I have found this to be a minefield with so much advice and some of it contradictory. Foods high in antioxidants like acai and goji berries and all the other dark coloured berries are popular, almonds, dark chocolate (lets face it we need to enjoy the food we are eating!) and red palm oil have been recommended to me. After reading Jane Plants book on her cancer recovery I stopped eating dairy food and shed 7kg (14lbs) which was great for my energy levels. My tumours didn't disappear so I cheat sometimes now.
Everyone talks about getting rid of sugar but that is really difficult for me being a sweet tooth, thats my next challenge! and lastly there is lots about creating an alkaline environment but to be honest I can only trace this theory back to one person in the 30,s who has been quoted by every alternative practitioner since. It would be great to talk with people who have actually put cancer in remission by only eating alkaline foods. Good luck with the search - this forum is a great way to share our successes. Wilma lee can you tell me more about asparagus and its benefits. Thanks.

Tham: 1998 when I was first diagnosed people sent me info on how asparagus juice helped fight cancer, I thru the info away becuase I do not like asparagus. SO in 2009 when the cancer came back, people sent it again, this time I read it and re-read it. Being stage IV makes a difference in how one looks at life. So I decided to give it a try. Take a can of 50% less sodium asparagus, blend it well and drink 4 tbsp in the am and pm (twice daily) The first month I did this my cancer decreased greatly so I have continued doing this til I went NED. (was NED for 10 months) then it returned again.....same place. So, now I am on xeloda pills (for the past 15 months) I still do the asparagus juice but not as faithful (because I am tired of it) I do try to drink it 5 days per week. I also drink 9.5 Alkaine Kagan water. I have been stable now for a long time, actually had a slight decrease as well. Dr. is pleased with me. I try hard to eat mostly RAW fruits and veggies. I cheat occasionally. Most the time I feel great. My dairy consumption is mininal as is my alcohol consumption. I just try to add some homopathic treatments along with the chemo. I personally feel better and my heart feels every little bit helps.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders