bone pain meds

What is everyone taking for bone pain ? side effects?

10 replies. Join the discussion

I had taken vicodan (hydrocodone) if pain was too much where advil did not work. I'm on Zometa once ever 3 months, which has kept my bone mets stable for 3 years now.
Terri

Hello,
I did morphine at first because the pain was so awful (sternum), I couldn't breathe deeply without crying. After it was under control and I finished radiation, she gave me Percocet then after being on those she changed me to the Fentanyl patch which is wonderful for me, it does noy cause the loopy headedness that the others did it just gets rid of the pain. I don't have any side effects at all from it at all. I hope that helped and your pain gets better soon.

Right now I am pain free on my treatment. IF I get pain in the middle of my back (T10 Pedicle), the location of the largest lesion and the bone biopsy, I take two Ibuprofen and one extra strength Tylenol. It works very well and is not a prescription medication. I would prefer to take over the counter and not something stronger if I don't have to. I am very careful to protect my back at all cost. I don't lift anything heavy and I walk very carefully. I have certainly slowed down my pace a great deal so I don't experience a fall or injury. I do gentle yoga which really helps me relax.

Be Well~~

Radiation eliminated a great deal of my pain. I now just use ibuprofen as needed... except at bedtime. I find that everything hurts worse at bedtime because I have no distractions.
At bedtime I use generic Advil PM and I use an over the counter capsicum pain relief patch.
I really encourage everyone with back pain to try these patches. Salonpas is the trade-name, but CVS sells a cheaper generic version and Walmart sells a WellPatch Capsaicin pain relief patch for 97 cents each. They feel cold and clammy when first applied, but after a few moments they feel wonderful... and control my back pain for 8+ hours.
Hope this helps....
Timarie

Although radiation has helped, with pain in two of the tumours in my spine, I still have quite a lot of pain.

So I'm on morphine 40mgs daily, also take over the counter pain killers if needed.

I did have my medication doubled but it made me to sleepy. Better to have some pain and have life , than be drugged out of my mind to be pain free.

I wonder if we can get the over the counter patches in the UK, if any one knows please let me know.

I Have zillions of Bone mets,, fentanyl patch, odd swig of morphine and if thé pain is awful, or my legs or arms go, radiotherapy is thé solution....x

Hi basilboots, I too have a buttload of mets too. I dont think I could go without my patches. I would go coocoo! How long have you had bone mets? I was originally diagnosed in December of 2005 then it returned in my sternum in May of 2009. I have it in 8 vertebrae, both femurs, sternum, ribs, sacrum, pelvic bobes, IT joint (?), both hipbones, I think that sums it up. I have had all kinds of different chemotherapy, im on number 9. Halaven. One of my nurse's is so funny, she is one of those that has a song for everything so she calls it ,bone potion #9! Its been do the trick I've been on it for a while now.
Good luck ; )

Hi, I just found this site and this is my first post...
I, too, have a boatload of mets: in the spine, hips and pelvis, sternum, ribs, shoulders, liver, and now skull. I had compression fractures of some vertebrae and ribs, and I currently have a fracture of the left hip. I was put on the fentanyl patch almost immediately after diagnosis back in Sept. (2012) and I wouldn't have made it without it.
No real side effects. I do have some sleepiness, but it might be because I don't always sleep well at night, or maybe from the amount of disease and/or treatments that I'm on.
I have oxycodone if the patch isn't handling all of the pain, but I hate taking it because it's constipating. So sometimes I take the oxy if the hip pain is too much and I have an outing, otherwise the patch pretty much handles it.
The patch is the way to go!
I wish you well!

I too have extensive bone mets and after radiation to L1-L4 have done very well with Fentanyl patches. I try to avoid the narcotic pills because they tend to make me dizzy and sleepy. Sometimes I use Ibuprofen if my stomach will tolerate it. Also, I get great relief from gently stretching in a hot tub. The warmth of the water does wonders for me, but I realize that access to a private/germ-free one is difficult for some.

Best wishes in finding a good pain relief form for you.

Bonemets,
How long have you been on Halaven? What side-effects do you experience? I am on my second round of Halaven and the only one my medical group that is on it. Praying it will the chemo of choice for a long time.

Pat

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders