Bone mets to spine -Incontinence? spinal decomression surgery?

I was diagnosed in 2008, treatment, then drug trial for Clodronate 3 yrs (to prevent bone mets) and got them anyway 3 yrs after diagnosis. some palliative radiation to spinal mets, and am now on aromasin/afinator combo. One side effect of the combo, or of the spinal mets is some urinary incontinence - do others have this problem? I've read about spinal decompression surgery - what's that all about? My bowel and bladder both shut down during a herniated L5 episode 30 years ago - maybe this is a sign of the problem recurring due to radiation at L5 last year. any ideas?

9 replies. Join the discussion

Travellingal, if you read my profile you'll see that I'm fused from T4 to T8 (thoracic area of the spine). But, you should know: 1) that Clodronate's function isn't to prevent bone mets but to make bones stronger because of therapies' damages, and 2) radiation problems may be occurring few weeks after they are done, so it's almost impossible that the procedure is the problem. What I know about spinal mets is that - in cases like you're describing here - immediate reaction should occur. Incontinence may be the problem of spinal compression anywhere from top to bottom of the spine. What I would like to advise you is to contact your oncologist; he/she will know what's going on. Best luck.

I agree with Beachlover, I take Clodronate 4 pills daily, they make the bones stronger. I would definitely call & go see your Onc to find out what the problem is. Please let us know how you are doing....we care

Susan xxx

I get incontinent sometimes...don't know why. It hasn't been enough to cause too many problems and it comes and goes so I always wear a pad. Geez, you think, yeah, no more periods, no more tampons, no more pads.....and then this....I blame everything on chemo S/E's.
But I agree with beachlover and gereus....call your Onc or Onc's nurse.
Good Luck!

I had a compression fracture on my L1 and I am fused from T3 to L4. I am in constant pain. There might be a tumor pressing against your spinal cord causing incontinent. After my compression fracture I was paralyzed for 54 days due to my tumor pushing straight into my spinal cord. I would take it very serious and make an appointment as soon as possible to see Neurosurgeon.

Best of luck

I'm a little confused with what this question is asking. Correct me if I'm wrong:

You are having incontinence, now.(?)
Your L5 hernia was 30 years ago. (?)
Your diagnosis was 2008. Palliative radiation to mets at L5 in 2011. You've experienced incontinence similar to L5 hernia, recently, but it has been a year since your radiation.(?)
Your question is............Do we think there is a correlation between incontinence and L5 mets?

Your radiation (palliative) would not be the cause of your incontinence, currently. Incontinence due to spinal compression seems the most obvious. If these symptoms are familiar, and you had a metastatic lesion in the same area, I would guess that your L5 lesion is active again OR you have some other vertebral compression going on. I would definitely get in touch with your onco or neurosurgeon ASAP. Decompression surgery has the best results, when it is done ASAP. Since you've already had radiation therapy to that area, radiation is no longer an option. This is something that you should NOT take a long time to figure out.

Hope all goes well. Let us know how you are doing.
Take care.
Anita

Msdebym,

I am interested in learning from you more about how your spinal compression came about. I have bone Mets in my spine with lesions in every vertebra from the top of the lumbar to my neck. (Lesions are also in my pelvic areas also) I visited with my Rad Oncologist, as from CT scan report it said innumerous sclerotic lesions in the entire vertebra. Sclerotic lesions help build the bone, not like Lytic where it leaves holes in the bone. A couple of questions include: what type of lesions did you have? Did you know before the compression that cancer had spread to your bones? I was assured that my bones are good, carry on as usual, no worries re fracturing or compressing; mind you I have two more days to go so I can say I have gone a month without falling.

Hello kiwigirls,

In January 2009 I was diagnosed with breast cancer With Mets to my spinal cord I had one of huge tumor on my L1. My doctors were shocked that I was still able to walk. My oncologist started to ask me a lot of questions in January if I had incontinent issues or if there's any pain going down my legs or if I feel any numbness. All i had was a little back pain. Around this time. I have no clue -what I was going to be in for. I had no idea what metastasis to the bone meant for me. My oncologist told me it's imperative that I see a neurosurgeon as soon as possible. She also put me on bed rest she was more concerned about the tumor on my spine rather than a tumor in my breast. She told me my spine needed To be stabilized. Of course me being a young vibration 32-year-old I just went on it when life is normal and walking around all over the place. I went to see a neurosurgeon by the end of January and we scheduled an emergency surgery February 3. Unfortunately for me, I went to use the bathroom and just like that I fell. I tried to move my leg and I couldn't get up nothing was moving below my waist. Basically a paraplegic. My mother called 911 and they rushed me to Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. My neurosurgeon Dr. Arthur Jenkins . Had to do an emergency decompression because my bone was broken and it pushed the tumor straight into my spinal cord. Dr. Jenkins two Surgeries went on February 1 and one on February 3. I went onto have chemo and by the end of August he did a huge spinal fusion. Dr. Jenkins with my lifesavers but no other doctors wanted to touch me. Unfortunately my cancer eat my bones. My situation reported emergency however if you need a tumor to be taking out my doctor is the absolute best. After my tumor was taking out it took me a year Rewalk. I hope I answered all your questions.
Good luck and best wishes

Strangely and oddly enough I never had any incontinence issues.

My doctor

http://www.mountsinai.org/profiles/arthur-l-jenkins-iii

If you are experiencing incontinece and have known tumors in the lumbar spine, you need to tell your oncologist ASAP. If it is in fact tumor pressing on your spinal cord, you need to have surgery to decompress the area.
THE SOONER THE BETTER... surgery performed right away has the best chance of restoring full function.
If the incontinece is mild, it is also possible that you are having atrophy issues related to severe estrogen deficiency but that usually builds very gradually and is not sudden... it would also NOT likely cause total urinary incontinence.
Please, go to your oncologist first thing Monday and let them know what is going on and get an MRI of the lower spine done. Or go to the Emergency Room if you can't get in to see your doc on Monday.
I wish you the best.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders