BC spred to stomach and colon

The last two times I have seen my oncologist he has mentioned that the fact that my breast cancer spred to my stomach and colon is unusual. (When I was diagnosed, it was in both.) Apparently it usually spreds to the lungs and/or liver . The primary tumor was located clinging to the side of my ribcage after the oncologist felt a bad node in my armpit. I passed all my mammograms. It is strange to have BC but never in the breasts!
Has anyone else had mets to stomach and colon?

9 replies. Join the discussion

jcbrown, is your cancer lobular? They are starting to describe lobular cancer as almost a seperate disease from breast cancer as it originates in glandular tissue. Not necessarily in the breast. I have lobular as well.... I have a history of stomach issues and I'm going for a colonoscpy next Monday, I will keep you posted. Mine was in the breast but at that point the pathology said it had not entered the lymph or the viens, yet after surgery it was confirmed in many nodes.....so who knows where it started first.... could have been in the nodes before the breast.....or even simultaneously..... interesting.

JC, I have lobular cancer and had it around my intestines and also in my liver but I did have a tumor in my breast also. My one told me that it is typical that lobular is in the abdomen area.

I have Lobular (the "buggar") also. While mine originated in the breast, it has now spread to my stomach & small intestine. It has also apparently morphed into triple negative.

My first onc gave the "usual" areas for spread, never mentioned digestive.

I got a second opinion (after full course of treatment for stage 3) and my new onc said Lobular "LIKES" to spread to the digestive system. Anyone with Lobular should be aware of this.

There are still many treatments out there.

I have lobular BC( 5 1/2 yrs) and have mets in the bone, liver, stomach, and colon. The colon and stomach mets were never identified with scans but endoscopes. The main symptom of the stomach mets was killer indigestion. Previously I had no problems with digestion and always felt I had a "good stomach."
Treatment wise I have been making use of all the hormonals. I switched to Faslodex after the discovery of the stomach mets. It was not effective. On the last one now, tamoxifen plus a vaccine study at Hopkins. I don't know which is responsible but I no longer have indigestion so I feel that the stomach mets are healed/ healing. Still have the diarheae associated with the colon mets.

I too have lobular cancer. In fact, it was first discovered in my stomach. They assume the primary was at the edge of my rib cage . It did not show up on a mammogram but an MRI spotted lymph node involvement under my left arm.
I was told from the very beginning of my diagnosis that lobular usually spreads to the GI tract.

How do they describe the stomach mets on the written scan? I have stomach mets but I have not ever been told that I have lobular bc. Confusing.

I was told to get a colonoscopy every five years because of BC...well, five years came around and they denied my test..saying "BC doesn't spread to the colon, so you have to wait ten years".

Evidently, and once again, the "experts" (insurance company flunkies) don't know squat.

Dear jc, I have bilateral ductal stage IV cancer - very unusual - and it was stage IV bilateral at diagnosis. After almost 3 successful yrs on arimidex, it spread to my cecum - VERY UNUSUAL FOR DUCTAL - had my cecum, ascending colon and ileocecal valve surgically removed 7/2011. NONE OF MY DOCS HAD SEEN ductal to colon. Sent the pathology to Stanford to confirm that it was breast cancer - yes it is. I have been on chemo ever since and it is spreading further and further in peritoneum and colon. Currently on navelbine. Will probably enter a clinical trial at Stanford soon. They all told me it is not unusual for lobular to go to colon. Margery

Wow! I also have lobular. I've been focused on fighting mets to the bones and only concerned with possibility of spread to liver, lungs and brain. My onc never mentioned possible spread to GI....thanks for the great post ,JC, and informative responses ladies!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders