Anyone on Abraxane? My first infusion chemo

6 years after lobular metastasis, I'm going onto infusion chemo for the first time. (Before this, only chemo was xeloda.)

For some reason this makes me anxious in a way other treatments (estrogen blockers, etc) did not.
What can I expect? What should I prepare for re. my schedule--i.e., will I feel bad day of treatment, a couple days after, is there a pattern?

What helps with side effects? How careful must I be re. lowered WBC (never had this)?

Thanks for sharing your experience with a chemo newbie.

11 replies. Join the discussion

Forgot to say I'll be on Abraxane once-a-week infusion.

There is no knowing how you will react. Everybody is different.

Dear Hope, One month ago I completed 8 cycles of abraxane. Each cycle was 3 wks - 2 wks on, 1 wk off in which I saw the doc. It was very tolerable. I did insist on 45 minute drip of the actual abraxane. Nurses always started with saline drip while they checked my blood work, then the 45 minutes of abraxane. Main side effects have been hair loss and neuropathy in feet and fingertips plus tiredness. Oncologist cut my dose of abraxane twice due to the neuropathy. PET scan one month ago showed my abdomen problems to be stable, so I am currently on chemo break and taking tamoxifen. Good luck, Margery

Hi Hope....I can share your experience and feelings, as I have just finished six months (3 weeks on, one off) of Abraxane and I am just beginning the hormone therapy. I have the same questions and fears of it right now as you do the chemo. What can I expect and how were your side effects?

As we all know, everyone reacts differently, but Abraxane was a pretty good friend to me. Mild neuropathy in feet, hair loss of course, and fatigue were all I experienced. Overall, it was quite easy, did a good job....and I feel so fortunate.

I hope Abraxane is kind to you, Hope...I just kept telling myself it wasn't going to get the best of me...and I was blessed with a good experience.

I was on Abraxane and Herceptin every week for 12 weeks. I felt pretty good on it. Mild neuropathy in feet like the others have said, hair loss and very little fatigue. I slept the day after and then felt great the rest of the week.

My tumor started off 2.3cm, after 5 weeks it was only .7cm and after 10 weeks it was gone. Think positive thoughts and you will do great!!

Best of Luck!

Abraxane has been the favourite out of all chemos I have experienced. Apart from Hair loss, fatigue and mild neuropathy, found it very tolerable. Good luck.

I start my second cycle of Abraxane tomorrow, once week for three weeks, and one week off.
So far, very tolerable. I started on Xeloda,but had to switch due to severe hand and foot. With Abraxane, low wbc,and hair loss are the major side effects. Total time about 1.5 hours, much better than' the 6+ hours of Taxol. I have minor foggy brain the next day. For low wbc,I eat lots of oranges.

This Friday will be my third infusion of Abraxane. So far, so good. I had my shoulder-length hair cut short this past week end to prepare for the total hair loss. After the first two infusions, I felt great that day. About 24 hours later, I was tired. To be honest, I probably tried to do too much. (Drove 45 minutes to work, left work after 6 p.m. to go to a football game, went out for midnight snack with family after the game both times.) I want to relax more after this Friday's infusion. Let your doc know if you are having any problems; it might be possible to avoid some problems with medication.

I didn't know about the oranges for WBC. I will add that to my diet. This site is great for ways to keep the monster in line. Good luck with Abraxane. So far, it is my friend.

Abraxane seemed to be tolerable to me. An infusion of Zofran prior to the Abraxane is liquid Gold for nausea!
I can recommend soaking your fingers and toes in a solution of vinegar and water to neutralize the salt build up under your nails. It will help keep them from turning dark and also lessen the effects of the Neuopathy and the chance of losing your nails.
The Neuropathy was not permanent with me, and I did not have the constant tears others complain of from Taxol.
My tumor was poorly differentiated and did not exactly shrink in size, but the edges were affected enough for the Surgeon to determine a clear margine for removal. So for me, it was a miracle of no small account!

Abraxane has worked well for me. My onc recently was considering a different drug. I had a Pet/ct to check things out and I sure wasn't ned but improved enough that I'm staying on Abraxane, my choice. Better the poison you know. I started it in Nov '11 and have had minimal side effects. I had never heard about vinegar and did have the fingernail side effects. They all decided to rise while I was on vacation and one swelled up with infection by a weird bug. I lost that nail and the others were weird plus my big toenails. I just lost the nail on one of them. I got all upset at the time but it wasn't as bad as I thought, my fingernail is almost all back and didn't hurt.
I have some neuopathy but I don't know how much because I was already on gabapentin from Xeloda side effects. My nose and eyes run, I never had allergies so I blame the drug. I have fatigue and sleep much more than people think I need. That's about it. I'm pleased not to have nausea. I really hate that, had it with Xeloda. That drug was bad, don't get me started.
I get Kyrtil before the Abraxane. The afternoon after I sometimes take a nap and usually won't tolerate meat that day. Its so much better than Taxane.
Good luck. Hope it destroys those nasty cells.

I have been on Abraxane since May for liver, lung and bone mets. Three weeks on and 1 week off. Dose reductions after the 1st and 2nd cycle because of neutropenia (low wbc). The major side effects for me are fatigue, mild neuropathy, neutropenia, some nose/eye issues, muscle fatigue/spasms. I get Aloxi before every treatment. I receive regular injections of neupogen and neulasta to boost my wbc before treatment. The injections cause quite a bit of bone pain everywhere for 2-3 days following the shot. I am no longer working but have two busy teenagers and volunteer - the flexible schedule allows me to rest during the afternoon, before the kids come home. If I get the 45-90 minute rest in the afternoon, I usually do okay. There are days when I am not able to do anything. I am also on Tykerb and Herceptin. The Tykerb is probably responsible for GI issues. Scans after the first three month were positive - reduction in tumors. I'm praying the next scans are just as positive. I agree with maryszoo, Better the poison you know. This is my 6th different chemo, which freaks me out to think about. Overall, Abraxane has been tolerable.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders